Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Faux Chenille Baby Blankets

I found this AMAZING tutorial on how to make a Faux Chenille Baby Blanket on Pinterest (what a wonderfully addicting site!).  Now when I found this project I had not sewn anything since my Home Economics class in high school, and I didn't even own a sewing machine!!  Well thanks to the great site I found the tutorial on and my MIL (she had the sewing machine), I decided to dive in head first and attempt to make this blanket for some friends who were expecting their baby girl in December 2011 (she decided to come early!).  Since then I have finished 3 of these blankets.

You can follow the pin I have on Pinterest HERE or you can find the complete tutorial over here at Dana-Made-It.  I followed Dana's directions but she also referenced the tutorial over at Aesthetic Nest.  Both tutorials are great to follow!

One of the best things about these blankets is that you are sewing straight lines the whole time.  Seriously that's it!  I think it was a great beginner project for me and these blankets are such a huge hit for baby showers and newborn/toddler gifts. I must warn you though, this is not a one day project (unless you are into sewing for like 10 hours straight!) but more like a week or so, depending on how long you like to sew for.  I also love how the back fabric frays even more each time you wash it and it continues to stay soft and cuddly.  

Here are the three blankets I have created so far...


Blanket #1--Made for little Miss Emma Maclay :-)  I found the fabric at Joann's.

Front of Blanket
Back of Blanket

 
Finished!

Little Miss Emma napping on her blanket!


Blanket #2:  Made for the little stud Ryder Gibble! I found this top fabric on sale at fabrics.com.


I just love this fabric!!


Isn't he adorable?!


Blanket #3:  Made for Bryce Packer (hence the Green Bay fabric).  Since we are in Pennsylvania, I had to order this Green Bay fabric online.


Finished Product


I just love the way the back of these blankets look!


**Just want to say a special THANK YOU to Mary Gray (mommy to Emma) and Katie Gibble (mommy to Ryder) for letting me use their precious little ones as models**

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from everyone. Please let me know what you think, don't be shy!